Thursday 15 March 2012

Bake Cheese and Courgette Scones

When we were out the other day, we ended up stopping at a cafe so baby Joe could have a break from shopping, which is not his favourite thing these days! I gave him a cheese scone and he seemed to love it, which reminded me of a recipe I have for cheese scones with grated courgette. This seemed like it might also be an easy way to sneak some extra veg into his diet, and make a tasty treat for my lunch too!

In fact they were even easier to make than I remembered, since I now have a food processor. The recipe is from a book called How to Feed Your Whole Family a Healthy Balanced Diet, with Very Little Money and Hardly Any Time... by Gill Holcombe, which has lots of cheap and healthy family recipes, as well as great menu planning tips.
I started by placing the flour, seasoning and butter, which should be chilled and cut into small pieces, in the food processor. I puled it until the butter was all rubbed in and the whole thing looked like sandy breadcrumbs. I then tipped that into a bowl and swopped the main blade for the grated attachment. I grated the cheese, and then the courgette, in the processor and tipped all of this into the same bowl. I mixed all of this together with enough milk to make a dough and turned it out onto a floured surface. 

I rolled out the dough to about an inch/2.5cm thick and cut out the scones with a round fluted cutter. However you could just cut them into triangles with a knife, or use a glass to cut out circles. The recipe says it makes about 12 but I managed to get 17 out of this mixture, because I was using a small cutter.

Lay them out on a baking tray with a couple of centimetres space between them, glaze with milk (or you could use a beaten egg if you prefer). Bake at gas mark 7 for about 10 minutes until risen and golden brown.

These were so quick to make and made a delicious lunch for Joe and I, served warm from the oven. Any leftovers will keep for a day or two, or can be frozen.

I hope you enjoy making these scones - don't fear the grated courgette!


PS. Just thought, if you're in the USA, you probably call courgettes zucchini. As you will do if you're in Italy.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you - no-one wants to be in a one-sided conversation - so leave me a comment and let me know you care! And if you want to send me a really lo-o-o-o-o-o-ng message, you can email me on heynicecardigan [at] hotmail [dot] co [dot] uk

Amy Xxx