Friday 10 February 2012

Quotation of the Week: Mary Oliver

Good afternoon friends,
I hope you're having a great Friday and have a wonderful weekend planned. We are taking little Joe the baby swimming tomorrow morning with some friends, which should be lots of fun, if not exactly the lazy Saturday morning lie-ins of yore...

So, another new weekly column: I love a good old quotation, me. I'm always looking for inpsiration in life, and nothing is more pleasing than to recognise a feeling you have always had, put more concisely and succinctly than you had ever been able to express it before. I thought you might enjoy sharing some of my favourite quotations, hopefully they will find you just when you need them.

This is an excerpt from the poem Starlings in Winter (I found the full poem online here if you would like to read it). I hadn't heard of Mary Oliver before - I don't know whether this makes me sound like a dunce or not, I think maybe she's more famous in America than here in the UK. Anyway, this is such an inspiring passage and I hope you love it as much as I do.

...I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. 
I want to be light and frolicsome. 
I want to be improbably beautiful and afraid of nothing, 
as though I had wings. 

Mary Oliver

I originally found this poem - like everything! - on Pinterest - as a beautiful lino cut print, which you can see here. I wanted to post a link to the original source for this print, and to credit the artist, but the link I had no longer works, so if you do know, please leave a comment and I can make sure the right people get their dues!

Have a wonderful weekend,

Love,

Amy Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you - no-one wants to be in a one-sided conversation - so leave me a comment and let me know you care! And if you want to send me a really lo-o-o-o-o-o-ng message, you can email me on heynicecardigan [at] hotmail [dot] co [dot] uk

Amy Xxx