Thursday 26 April 2012

Beautiful Book Covers


Hello friend! Every so often I like to share my collections with you (like my Champagne cork collection). Today I thought you might like to see my book collection. Now let's be specific: I have lots of books - too many perhaps - and I don't think of these as a collection: books are just something you have in your home, as far as I am concerned. My collection is specifically book covers (only I love books too much to part a book from its cover so they stay whole). I am always on the lookout in charity shops and jumble sales for books with beautiful and unusual covers. I like to display these at the front of my book shelves with the cover facing out, so that they make a pretty display for my home. Some are just so beautiful, others hilariously funny, whether for the design or the title.

Font: Lullaby
For example, I just had to buy "Spinsters in Jeopardy" when I found it in the Oxfam Bookshop in St Albans, the graphic design grabs you but the title is a classic! And that Jilly Cooper cover is just so cheesy, I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Only a Girl Wife was a gift to me from my sweet husband, probably a reference to the fact that I am SLIGHTLY older than him (as he likes to remind me...).

I think it is such a shame when beautiful book cover art is hidden on the shelf, and love seeing these great designs on the bookshelf every time I walk down our stairs. I have been thinking about ways to display then around my home, perhaps putting up shallow picture shelves like these ones from Ikea, so I could make an every changing display. If you love books too, why not pick a few favourites and use them as lively and unique art for your home?

3 comments:

  1. Love that Elizabeth Gaskell cover. That shade of green is so invigorating. Beautiful collection you have going there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book collection is great. I actually am not into this Kobo/book reader stuff yet. There is nothing better then physically turning the page of a great book. And the older the better!

    Also...I wanted to let you know that I really adore your blog and featured you in my post today :)
    xx
    A

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you - no-one wants to be in a one-sided conversation - so leave me a comment and let me know you care! And if you want to send me a really lo-o-o-o-o-o-ng message, you can email me on heynicecardigan [at] hotmail [dot] co [dot] uk

Amy Xxx